Poker Cats

Wednesday, April 12, 2006

Monkey off my back

So I've been subbing at work as the night editor, which means I get home right around 12:30 a.m. or so, just in time to play in Full Tilt's donkish $24+2 tourneys. These things are so donkish they must be the replacement of the $4+.40 Peep Sex tourneys. Most of the 49-50 player field bounces out in the first hour.

Monday night I was doing OK in a $24+2 tourney where winners would go to Sunday's $200+16 $200,000 guaranteed tourney. I was in 8th place of 25 people, five would advance, when I received AA. I pushed when this guy made a standard raise and he called with QQ. And flopped a set. I was totally crippled and bounced out later in 11th.

A few hours ago, I entered a $24+2 WSOP tourney qualifier. I really was minding my own business until the chip leader min raised and I called in the big blind with 97o. And made trips and doubled up against his AK.

Then I noticed later on he was calling all-ins. I received KK and pushed all-in. But another chip stack called me with JJ. She flopped three clubs, made a fourth with a K on the turn to make her flush...

And then a fourth K fell for the sloppy quad! Yes!

That gave me a bunch of chips. I had to fight to stay within the top 5 to advance to Thursday's WSOP $200+16 qualifier (including stealing blinds against two big stacks on the button with the hammer!)

After the 6th place person busted, it was an all-in fest. It got down to me and one other person. I was all-in on every hand, and then I got the hammer again. I thought this surely was a sign, I would actually win a tournament.

But no. I didn't. I lost that hand. Finally I got bludgeoned later with jacks full of kings against my 93s. It didn't matter since the top 5 all got the same prize. I sort of feel like how Chris Moneymaker felt when he won the online tourney to go to the WSOP- that he really hoped for the money instead. I wouldn't be crying if I had $216 in cash right now instead of a long shot for a $12,500 WSOP package.

But that won't happen so it looks like I'll be online in my hotel room Thursday evening in Seattle. Yay!

3 Comments:

  • I'll say this right now. If you make it to the WSOP, and if by any chance you take a good bite out of the prize pool there... well you'll have to "spare some cutter, me brother" to this young chap over here, so he can move forward the limits!

    Congratulations

    By Blogger Victor_Enriq, at 1:25 PM  

  • of course!!

    By Blogger kurokitty, at 4:24 PM  

  • Sloppy quads!

    By Blogger deliverator, at 7:24 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home