Poker Cats

Friday, May 05, 2006

A matter of adjustments

"The important thing is the adjustments that a veteran player makes. They see a game, they play a game, and come back the second time and improve on their first game."
-L.A. Laker Coach Phil Jackson, on November game against the Denver Nuggets, Nuggets Web site


Going into Sunday's tourney on Full Tilt, I feel like my tourney play has been very good and bad of late. I've had pretty decent focus, up to a point. Twice I made final tables of small-field tournaments, was very close to winning a $216 satellite seat with a good lead, and I totally blew it.

First time came with a min-raiser with less chips than me. I called with QQ, big stack also called in the bb. Flop was all rags, I pushed all-in, hoping to get the big stack out. He did drop out, but the toaster min-raiser had KK.

Another time was late in a $69+6 WSOP 100 Seat tourney satellite. I called a raise that pretty much put me all in with just 1,000 chips left in the sb with K9s. What the fuck was I thinking? Raiser had KJo. Bounce, bounce and out.

I feel like I'm getting better at making moves, making laydowns for all but the final minute of my play. It's that final minute I'll have to keep in check.

I'm not going to say I'm going to have the perfect storm to victory. But I feel good about my consistency and will work hard to make sure I stay that way throughout a tournament.

------------

I like the latest WPBT idea -- the next event involves twin $10 + 1 tourneys, play in both is needed for the standings. I mean, I'm going to be multi-tabling anyway, so it might as well be for the WPBT.

------------
On the cash game side, things have been much better. No pressure to make moves dictated by increasing blinds. On a hunch, I bet 2x the pot in a 1/2GBP 6-max game in the Crypto system, hoping that a toaster made his frush. He was very frushy -- Q-high -- and he thought about it for four seconds before not wanting to be outplayed. My boat made me 380 GBP, or a $702 pot.

2 Comments:

  • Hey!
    Maybe anxiety is bitting your head off.

    It reminds me of a time when after retaining the chip lead for well over an hour, got to the final four and pushed a middle stack all in on a flop filled with rags (QQ for me, there). Of course he held aces. Short stacked holding a pair of jacks, all in preflop to be called by QQ, busting nicely as bubble boy. 4th place out of twenty something. A nice $20+2 rebuy and add on tourney. 3rd place received like 300 or so!

    It was a long time ago, though.
    It still hurts hahahaha

    By Blogger Victor_Enriq, at 10:52 AM  

  • LOL. Good point!

    By Blogger kurokitty, at 1:49 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home