Poker Cats

Monday, March 28, 2011

Carolina: Two decades later


CHAPEL HILL, N.C. -- Life is pretty interesting in that you never really know where you're going to end up next.

When I left Chapel Hill nearly two decades ago, I was just a young cat headed to new adventures in Japan. It wasn't that I never wanted to come back to campus, I just never needed to. Plus my parents moved back to Chicago from Winston-Salem when I was overseas.

So it's kind of crazy I'm back now. My fiancee has her pediatric boards here and I jumped at the chance to explore a setting of my past.

Sure, everywhere you go, after a while things won't be exactly like how you left them last. I'm constantly amazed at how much Atlanta has developed in the eight years that I've been there.

But the essence of my experience at Chapel Hill has remained. I remember what it was like cutting through the quad or the arboretum on my way to/from class and to Franklin Street, the main drag. I ate a chicken and cheddar biscuit at Time Out. I saw my freshman/sophomore dorm trying to find a place to park.

Being here also has reminded me of my days as a pretty neurotic college student eager to explore the world.

Opportunities like this make you take a step back and review your life like nothing else. There are a lot of things I can be proud of -- my marriage in 40 days to a young doctor, my streak of more than 1,500 consecutive days of running, the friends and travel that are in my life.

And being here, thinking about my past, makes me think that nothing is set in stone. I thought back then that I'd be a lawyer when I was all grown up. Every day is a new page. Turning 40 allows me to look forward to the next two decades ahead.

3 Comments:

  • When you go someplace, do you ask people where's a good place to run, or do you just set out and do it?

    By Blogger Memphis MOJO, at 2:24 PM  

  • Oh, and congrats again on the marriage.

    By Blogger Memphis MOJO, at 2:24 PM  

  • Hi there- I pretty much just run wherever. It was about 32 and sleeting so "wherever" was a short run of a mile.

    By Blogger kurokitty, at 10:25 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home